Having bought shares in a company the investor becomes part owner with the portion of the company owned being equivalent to the number of shares owned.
The public can only purchase shares in listed companies. These companies are listed on the Stock Exchange.
Investing in stocks provide the following advantages:
- Their track record: over the long term equity investments have historically outperformed other investments and have kept pace with the erosive effects of inflation.
- The returns: the dual return component, which comes in the form of capital gains (appreciation in the price of the stock) and dividends (a share of the company’s earnings paid to its shareholders)
- Relatively low commission costs.
- The ease with which purchased securities can be safeguarded (held in an electronic account).
- Marketability (they can be bought and sold fairly easily).
- The ability to quickly determine the investment’s exact market value.
Investing in the stock market is a good option if you are looking to achieve medium-to-long-term goals and want to diversify your portfolio. Start by choosing an initial investment amount, then seek professional investment advice from your Financial Solutions Advisors, who will assess your risk profile and help refine your investment goals.
What Our Clients Say About Us
The CUFMC has been our strategic partner in providing wealth management products and services to our members..Sherie Nash-Seymour
The CUFMC’s team, both at the leadership level and its staff, serves as a true reflection of a company that understands what is meant by “going the extra mile” to serve its clients.Elvis King
CUFMC has continued to be driven by a desire to serve the Credit Union’s best interests, rather than its own.Martin Blackwood